Ways to Change Network Type in Windows 10:
In the new era of Windows, Windows 10 currently comes with the integrated firewall that has predefined configurations for the windows. Windows 10 operating system allows only the tree ways and the type of the network on windows built. All these 3 kinds of the Windows network types use various configurations and also the accessibility to the network. You can do the changes between Public, Private and domain.
When you by default do changes in windows network, or you get connected to a new network, then your computer chooses the correct and best-suited network for Windows 10. If you feel unfit for the windows to run on the same network type then its ok. But if you wish then you’ve got choices to alter network type windows 10.
read: Windows 7 product key
By default or initially option for windows 10 change the network type, you get the choice to choose the network type when you usually get connected to any surprise network or where our windows fail to work out the particular category for the chosen network.
Change Network Type In Windows 10
When connected to the new network and you get to pick the network type you wish your connection to fall in the class, then the windows firewall make settings accordingly for your network connection and the type of connection you have chosen. Well, there are three main network types that you can select on the windows 10, let’s have a close discussion about all the three network types and their special features.
Network Types in Windows 10
1. Public Network
When you connect your pc to any new network, typically it goes into the category of Public Network. Using windows 10 swapping network from the Public network to Private from the settings. Windows asks you for the network choice. When you don’t choose any network on your pc, then the windows can tack the network using the windows firewall settings and the public network rules.
The windows firewall rules are most restrictive one’s for the Public network. Since the public network is a sort of open network and also the public network increases the risk of hacking and phishing attacks, the Public network gives he limited accessibility to the internet usage. Using the Public network disable the flexibility of shared printers use, network discovery is disabled, and also there are many restrictions in the file sharing too.
The public networks are suitably used when you are using only one computer and you do not need to have the communications with the outer devices or the users. The public network is beneficial when you are using the pc laptops, or Tablet devices with Windows 10. These networks are basically used for entertainment purposes like watching movies or playing games. Make sure that you just have activated windows using windows 10 product key.
2. Private Network
Basically, you’ll be able to set the Private network on the Connection of trust. Either it’s your home network or your work network, Private network in Windows 10 is the network that you trust upon and all the function present in the network are working correctly.
When you choose any network as your Private network for your Windows 10, you’ll be able to use most of the networking options and will be ready for the shared devices, printer sharing, files sharing, and many more applications and software that do not trust the public network and hence they do not work well.
Make sure to pick any of the networks as your Private network only if you’ve got the trust on the Connection. As hackers can attack your computer or malware attacks may occur if you choose the wrong network as your private network.
3. Domain Network
Domain network is that the network that gets detected and falls within the class Automatically once your pc becomes the member of the Directory domain network. Or talking in the more easy language, we can say that the network that adds up your computer by another network controllers directly, then surely the network acts as the domain network. This type of network is essentially the secure network and the pc asks for the permissions before giving access to that.
When the pc gets the connect access for the network, then this network works as actually like your private network with all sorts of access. Windows 10 typically notice these kinds of the networks and asks for the permissions. You have your Domain network connected with all the windows firewall access once the permissions are done.
Domain network typically provides more security and administration Control for your pc. Here the administrator can use and change the different security configurations using the Active Directory group policies.
Coming back to the subject, in this post we are here discussing change network profile change network from public to private and how can follow the steps to the network change in windows 10 Please keep reading the article for obtaining the tactic to change the windows network type.
Ways To Change Network Type In Windows 10 (Public, Private or Domain)
Change windows 10 network type using Windows settings.
1: To change the network type using Windows Control Panel settings, follow the steps below:
- Go to Control Panel – open Control Panel
- Network and Internet – choose the network and Internet settings.
- Home Group – select the Home group option.
- Click on “Change Network Location” Option to open Network Opening Windows,
- This will open a new dialogue box – “Do you want to allow your PC to be discoverable by other PCs and devices on this network”,
- Click on the Accept button and move to another option which will cause you to select the preferred network type for our laptop either home network or Private network.
- You can configure every type of these networks in more detail by clicking on the link “Change advanced sharing setting.
2: Change public network to private windows 10 using windows registry
You can also change your preferred network type in windows registry anytime and select or choose the best network type for your windows 10. This option is however simple for the Pro level of users of the windows. Those who are comfortable with computer languages and are pro users of Windows 10 can easily go for this option.
In fact, it is also not too hard to understand and you can also make changes to your network yourself. Just follow the steps below and you will be able to make the changes to the windows network type by yourself. However, make sure you at least have the basic knowledge for the computers.
- Go to Run – in start menu click on the run
- regedit – Type regedit in run box and click enter.
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
- Click on SOFTWARE
- Select Microsoft option
- Select Windows 10
- Choose your current version of Windows 10 you’re using
- Now go to network list and select profiles.
- When you you’ll enter into the profiles, then you’ll notice many different GUID. This GUID list will be corresponding according to the number of the network on your computer.
- Select every subkey in different GUID lists. This list and the profiles chosen should be as same as the range of network cards you’re using on your laptop.
- Select each sub-key of the Profiles and look for the ProfileName key in the right-hand pane. This will provide you with the name of the network so you’ll be able to simply acknowledge which network you would like to change.
- After you have chose and rectified ut the proper subkey for your network, you have to now change the category in the right side of the screen to change the network type of any particular network.
Change Network type from Public to the Private in windows files:
This is also another methodology by which you’ll be able to modify the network from public to Private in windows 10. Follow the steps below for more options.
- Go to Run
- Select Network List Manager Policies. This’ll list all the networks in the right side pane.
- Double click your required network, go to Network Location tab.
- Change the Network location type to Private, Public or either Not Configured.
- If you would like to do this for all the connected networks, you can double-click All Networks instead of your desired network.
- Security settings for setting up network type
IV. Setting network type using PowerShell
- Open PowerShell with administrative privileges
- Run the following command
- See the network name you wish to change its type and run the following command:
- Set-NetConnectionProfile -Name “ITT” -NetworkCategory Public.
- Where ITT is the name of your network and you can change the -NetworkCategory switch value to Public or Private.
- PowerShell command to change network type.
- This will change the network type immediately.
Leave a Reply